Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Manifest a goal- Live STRONG

Last weekend I joined my best friend, Sandy, in Austin, TX for the 2011 Ride for the Roses benefiting LIVESTRONG.  Ride for the Roses was created 15 years ago by friends of Lance Armstrong to show their support after he was diagnosed with cancer.  The Lance Armstrong Foundation invites all of the top fundraisers for LIVESTRONG and LIVESTRONG Partners out to Austin for a weekend filled with cycling events and celebrations.

I honestly had no idea what I was getting into by saying yes.  I understood why Sandy chose to invite me and I was confident in the work I had done to help her reach her fundraising goal of $50,000 (yes that's three 0's!) for 24 Hours of Booty, a LIVESTRONG partner.  I saw this trip to Austin as mostly a thank you from Sandy and 2 early mornings that consisted of a 5k and watching Sandy bike 20 miles.  Everything else was fair game. 

I came back a new person.  The weekend was filled with moments I will never forget.  Moments that made me laugh, moments that made me cry, moments that made me reflect, moments that made me extremely angry, moments that gave me hope and made me ask- Why am I not doing more?

One of these moments came when we were getting ready to leave the hotel for the LIVESTRONG 5K.  I saw a table where you could write names on cards: "In Honor Of:" and "In Memory Of:"  For most of my life I have never had names I would've thought to list on either card , but on this day I had names to list both "In Honor Of:" and "In Memory Of:"  I chose to walk in honor of my friend Nicole, who is a survivor, and in memory of my Uncle Tony, my boyfriend's mom, and two very dear friends of mine who had lost one or both parents in 2011 to cancer.  It reset my focus on what this weekend really represented.

I will detail many of the other moments in future posts, but it's important to me to share the video that I believe was life changing for many if not all of the people who saw it at the LIVESTRONG awards dinner.

This video is from the LIVESTRONG.org website.  They shared it with us after a speech given by Lance Armstrong. 

He said- "No one loses their battle with cancer.  They simply run out of time." 

When he concluded his speech,  he introduced the video and left the stage.  When the video ended, we all sat in silence, not out of sadness, but out of pure respect to absorb an emotion.  To respond to a call to take action. 

http://www.livestrong.org/Who-We-Are/Our-Strength/LIVESTRONG-Manifesto

5 comments:

Nicole Bills said...

I'm excited for you and can't wait to ride in 24 HOB with you next year!!! No more sidelines for us :) xoxo

JP Soto said...

Happy for your experience Amanda! Can't wait to cheer you up next year! Excite to read your blog... JP

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for all you've done - and will continue to do! You and Sandy are stellar examples of why 24HOB is such a great partner - thank you again! - Chris...

Sandy Morgart said...

You are the best Amanda! I just read your first post and started crying realizing what the change in you will mean to your family, your friends and the cancer fighting community. I cannot wait to jump into fundraising for 2012 and ride WITH you at Booty and RFTR next year! LOVE YOU!! Sandy

jb said...

So proud of you and very excited for you!! Cant wait to watch your progress on your blog! love you!